How to Choose a Soft Wash System
Soft washing is the process of using the correct cleaning chemicals to kill organic matter like Gloesocapsa Magma algae (the black streaks on roofs), moss, mold, and lichen from roofs, siding, and other exterior surfaces, then rinsing with low pressure, typically 500 psi or less.
The key is to get the correct soft washing mix on the surface so it can do the cleaning, not the water pressure. Getting that solution on the surface can be done a variety of ways depending on your equipment, budget, and how often and how much you plan to clean.
Let's take a look:
Soft Washing Sprayers
When soft washing first became popular, chemicals were usually applied using a small 12-volt pump-up sprayer. These very basic sprayers were not designed to handle corrosive chemicals such as bleach, so they wore out quickly. They also could not shoot very far. Mixes typically had to be made much stronger than what is common today because they put out such low volumes.Today's sprayers have improved, and the air diaphragm ProTool Power Sprayer is the best of the best. Here's why:
- Designed to handle sodium hypochlorite and other harsh chemicals
- Shoots up to 30 feet high from the ground
- No need to constantly pump while spraying
- Interchangeable nozzles allow you to get the spray pattern you need
- Steady, controllable flow
- Up to 90 psi pressure
- No electricity of heavy batteries
- Long lasting
- Versatile -- can be used for a variety of stain removal products
The ProTool Power Sprayer is a great option for smaller soft washing jobs, or if you are wanting to try out soft washing before committing to a bigger system.
For bigger projects or the more serious contractor, we recommend using the ProTool Sprayer as an accessory, but not as a replacement for a more powerful system like the ProTool Clever or Batch Pro.
X-Jet M5 Nozzle
Yes, you can use a pressure washer for soft washing by adding the X-Jet M5 Nozzle. The X-Jet lets you shoot your chemical mix up to 30 feet in the air safely from the ground. The M5 variable nozzle also lets you change the nozzle pattern with the simple twist of a wrist. Go from a zero degree to shoot chemicals on the roof, then immediately water surrounding plants with water only by twisting to a 60 degree fan pattern.
While the X-Jet is a good way to start if you already own a pressure washer, we really recommend getting a separate soft washing system if you are going to be doing big jobs or frequent projects.
The ProTool Clever is an amazing soft washing option for window cleaners who are wanting to get into soft washing, or for pressure washing companies that want to take on more soft washing work.
1. It's compact -- so compact, in fact, that you can even fit it behind your front seats in your vehicle.
2. It's portable, which means you can wheel it around with you as you clean. You can take it in hard-to-reach areas, and even use it from a lift.
3. It's easy to set up.
4. It's designed to handle 12.5% and other powerful cleaning chemicals.
5. It mixes chemicals for you. Just dial in the mix ratio of bleach and surfactant that you need, and the dosing system mixes it for you. There's no guesswork, no wasted chemicals, and no problems switching mix ratios on the fly.
6. It holds 7 gallons of bleach, is the perfect size for a pint-sized bottle of Sticky surfactant, and yields around 70 gallons of house wash mix.
7. It provides the same high flow rate as most larger systems, with the exception of the Batch Pro.
Learn more about how the Clever here.
For serious soft washing companies, we recommend the best of the best -- the Batch Pro from Valley Industries. This amazing system takes out the guesswork of mixing, provides a tremendous amount of flow, and lets you take on big projects quickly and easily. You can quickly get in, get it clean, and move on to the next job.
- 100 gal water/ bulk rinse tank
- 55 gal SH storage and mix tanks
OFFERS OPTIMUM SPRAY CAPACITY
- 150 gal of 4% Roof Mix (3 Batches)
- 200 gal of 3% Roof Mix (4 Batches)
- 400 gal of 1.5% Roof Mix (8 Batches)
- 600 gal of 1% Roof Mix (12 Batches)