Which Hand Sanitizers are Best for my Employees?
With the continuing spread of COVID-19, the CDC has continually said that one of the best ways to reduce the spread and reduce your risk of getting sick is by washing your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. For those times when soap and water is not handy, however, hand sanitizer is your second-best option.
COVID-19 has helped us understand that all hand sanitizers are the same. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- When choosing a hand sanitizer, make sure that it has at least 60% alcohol.
- Only two kinds of alcohol are permitted as active ingredients in alcohol-based sanitizers -- ethanol (ethyl alcohol) or isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol or 2-propanol). Methanol and 1-propanol are not acceptable ingredients in hand sanitizer and can be toxic to humans.
- Note that there are some non-alcohol-based hand sanitizers that are legally marketed that contain benzalkonium chloride as an active ingredient, However, no hand sanitizers, including those containing benzalkonium chloride, are legally marketed specifically for the prevention or treatment of COVID-19.
- Hand sanitizers using active ingredients other than alcohol (ethanol), isopropyl alcohol, or benzalkonium chloride are not legally marketed, and the FDA recommends that consumers avoid their use.
- Hand sanitizers that contain methanol (wood alcohol) contain dangerous, toxic substances and can cause serious side effects (nausea, vomiting, headache, blurred vision, seizures, coma, permanent damage to the nervous system, etc.) absorbed through the skin, and blindness or death when swallowed.
Our Secure Waterless Hand Rub is a convenient option to help keep your employees protected while on the road, and costs less per ounce than what you'll find at your local retail outlets (assuming their shelves aren't empty!)
Secure Waterless Hand Rub 16oz
• No Sticky Residue
How To Protect Yourself & Others
Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap & water are not available. Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.