Sodium Hypochlorite 12.5% per gallon - SH
Sodium Hypochlorite is chlorine gas dissolved in sodium hydroxide.
Available for Delivery into your holding tank(s), container(s) at our East Rutherford NJ Facility.
This is essentially household bleach (store bought at 5 to 6%) but is a stronger 12.5% percentage solution .
Sodium Hypochlorite is a disinfectant that is liquid at room temperature and can be dosed with chemical feed pumps.
Sodium Hypochlorite (SH) Bleach is a strong and effective disinfectant, and is effective in killing bacteria, fungi and viruses, including Coronavirus and Influenza virus. SH disinfects within 10 minutes of contact time and may be recommended for surface disinfection in healthcare facilities.
However, bleach irritates mucous membranes, the skin and the airways, decomposes under heat and light, and reacts readily with other chemicals. Therefore, caution is advised when bleach is used. Ventilation should be adequate and consistent with relevant occupational health and safety guidance.
Improper use of bleach, including deviation from recommended dilutions may reduce its effectiveness for disinfection and can result in injury.
Procedures for preparing/using diluted bleach
- Use a mask, rubber gloves, and waterproof apron. Goggles also are recommended to protect the eyes from splashes.
- Mix and use bleach solutions in well-ventilated areas.
- Mix bleach with cold water because hot water decomposes the sodium hypochlorite and renders it ineffective.
Sodium Hypochlorite: concentration and use for Sanitizing.
- Recommended dilution 1:200 dilution of 12.5% sodium hypochlorite is the typical for surface sanitization.
- Use 1 part 12.5% bleach to 200 parts cold tap water (1:200 dilution) for disinfection of surfaces.
- Adjust ratio of bleach to water as needed to achieve appropriate concentration of sodium hypochlorite, for other surface cleaning.
For Cleaning Exterior Surfaces for Organics:
- Siding, Fences, Decks - use a 1/2% to 1.2% solution
- Roof Cleaning - use a 3% solution, stronger if there is a heavy accumulation of moss or lichens.
Precautions for the use of bleach
- Bleach can corrode metals and damage painted surfaces.
- Avoid touching the eyes. If bleach gets into the eyes, immediately rinse with water for at least 15 minutes, and consult a physician.
- Bleach should not be used together with, or mixed with, other household detergents because this reduces its effectiveness and can cause chemical reactions.
- A toxic gas is produced when bleach is mixed with acidic detergents, such as those used for toilet cleaning, and this gas can cause death or injury. If necessary, use detergents first, and rinse thoroughly with water before using bleach for disinfection.
- Undiluted bleach liberates a toxic gas when exposed to sunlight and should be stored in a cool, shaded place, out of the reach of children.
- Sodium hypochlorite decomposes with time. To ensure its effectiveness, purchase recently-produced bleach, and avoid over-stocking. Diluted bleach should be made fresh daily, labeled, dated, and unused portions discarded 24 hours after preparation.
- Organic materials inactivate bleach; surfaces must be cleaned of organic materials before disinfection with bleach.
- Keep diluted bleach covered, protected from sunlight, in a dark container (if possible), and out of the reach of children.